top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a copy of a report?

In order to obtain a police report, a request form will have to be completed and submitted.  It will then be determined if the case has been adjudicated.  If the case has not been adjudicated, the report will not be released.  For cases that have been referred for prosecution, you may request a copy from the prosecuting attorney.


If it a report is approved for release, you will be notified when it is ready and a fee of $1.00 for the first page and $.50 for each additional page will apply.

For a motor vehicle crash report you were involved in you need only to request a copy of the report.  There is a $1.00 fee for the first page and $.50 for each additional black and white page for this request.

Download Report Request Form


How do I obtain a local records check?

A Records Check request form will need to be completed.  The form can be picked up at the Powell Police Department or you can print the form from this website.  Make sure to include all of your biographical information to ensure the accuracy of the record check.  A photo ID will need to be presented at the time of the request.  A $5.00 fee will be charged for this process and will need to be paid upon submittal of your request.  This will provide only Powell Police records, for a general criminal history, your request must be submitted to the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation.

Download a form


How do I obtain a dog license?

All dogs, 5 months and older, are required to wear a current year pet license.  In order to purchase a license, you will need to present a veterinarian rabies certificate noting current rabies vaccination information and documentation if the dog has been spayed or neutered.  The cost for a spayed/neutered dog is $2.00 and for an unaltered dog is $10.00.  Pet licenses go on sale in mid-December and expire on January 10th of each year.  Licenses not obtained by January 10th of that year will result in a $3.00 late fee unless the dog hasn't been previously registered.

Cats do not require a license but those 5 months and older and residing in the city limits, are required to wear a collar or harness displaying a current rabies tag. If you wish, you can obtain a pet license for your cat, but it is voluntary.


How long after purchasing a vehicle do I have to register it?

Within 60 days if transferred from a licensed dealer, both in and out of state.

Within 60 days if transferred and the title is being held by a bank or financial institution.  A notarized Bill of Sale must also be with the vehicle.

Within 45 days for private party/individual transfers when accompanied by a properly executed title. A notarized Bill of Sale must also be with the vehicle.

Insurance is required immediately upon purchasing a vehicle.


Does Powell have a curfew?

Yes, City Ordinance 9.20.020 states curfew hours for minors under sixteen years of age are:

September 1st through May 31st, 11 pm on any Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday until 5 am on the following day12am until 5 am on any Friday and Saturday.

June 1st through August 31st, 12 am on any Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday until 5 am on the following day.


Why do I need a VIN inspection for vehicle registration?

The inspection involves physically verifying the vehicle identification number on the vehicle and is a theft prevention measure.  VIN inspections are required on all vehicle transactions, except for never titled vehicles with Manufacturers Statement of Origin and Wyoming title transfers.  VIN inspections are required by state law.  The inspection verifies that the vehicle you purchased belongs to the documents given to you. If your title has an incorrect VIN you will have trouble selling the vehicle or in proving you are the rightful owner.


Who creates the Powell Municipal Ordinances?

The Powell City Council is the legislative branch of local government and creates city ordinances, some that have originated at the request of the citizens of Powell. The Powell Police Department enforces those laws along with other State and Federal laws. You can view the Powell City Ordinances by clicking here.


Who do I need to call if I have a problem or complaint that may not be an emergency?

If you know where the problem occurred or is occurring you will need to contact the agency within that jurisdiction.  For example, if a burglary occurs at a residence outside of the City Limits you will need to call the Park County Sheriff's Office, (307) 754-8700 or if it happened within the Powell city limits you will call the Powell Police Department, (307) 754-2212.  If you have a traffic complaint that occurred on a state highway, the Wyoming Highway Patrol, (307) 777-4321, will need to be contacted, etc. 


In some cases, an incident may occur in another state or city's jurisdiction.  In this case, you will need to contact that agency's proper authorities. If you need assistance contacting another law enforcement agency, do not hesitate to call us. 


Do the Powell Police have a ticket quota?

No.  Powell Police Officers are not required and never have been required to write a given number of citations in a given period of time.


Why does the Powell Police Department make such an effort to enforce the impaired driving laws?

Driving while impaired is a violation of the law and is extremely dangerous to all drivers and occupants on the roadway. The Powell Police Department is constantly trying to make our streets safer for ALL motorists. Drinking and driving is a choice, if an alcohol-related crash occurs it is 100% preventable. Most people know someone who has been injured or killed by an impaired driver. Nothing makes the Powell Police Department happier than seeing a person making the choice not to drive after drinking and finding a safe way home.


Can I pay for my ticket at the Powell Police Department?

Only tickets issued by Powell Police Officers into Powell Municipal Court can be paid at the Powell City Hall, located at 270 N. Clark Street, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.  Please bring your copy of the citation with you.  For after-hours, a payment box is located at the rear of City Hall in the alley.  This box accepts local checks or money orders only, NO CASH.  Payments can be mailed to Powell City Hall using the above-listed address.  For Proof of Insurance citations, please bring a CURRENT insurance card for the vehicle to the Powell City Hall during normal business hours.  Questions?  Call (307) 754-5106 for Municipal Court.  Payments are no longer accepted at the Powell Police Department.


Tickets issued into Park County Circuit Court can be paid at the Park County Annex, located at 109 W. 14th Street, in Powell, Monday, Tuesday, and Friday from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.  Payments can be made during the lunch hour and on Wednesdays and Thursdays by placing payment in envelopes provided on the wall by the doorway and placed in the "Fine Payment" slot in the door.  Receipts will be mailed for these payments.  Credit card payments (VISA/Mastercard) are accepted either in person or by telephone.  For payments received by phone, there is an $8.00 convenience fee in addition to the fine.  Fines are also payable at the Park County Circuit Court building, located at 1002 Sheridan Ave, in Cody.


bottom of page